Thursday, June 16, 2011

Posting online résumés not useful, author says

Someone besides me is going public with the truth: "In general, posting résumés online is not a useful strategy." I've heard that.

Writing an industry-related blog is a good way to show what you can do and to get your name out there. But it doesn't do that quickly. So start your blog early.

70% of employers have disqualified a prospect because of something they saw online, this article claims. That's twice as high as I've seen before. In any case--an useful reminder to monitor what employers can see about you on the web.

More than 1/2 of UK employees surveyed spent more than 3 hours weekly searching for another job on company time. Favorite excuses for interview time off: doctor appointment, home delivery, pet emergency. Having the present employer fund the job search is usually considered high-risk behavior.

If the interviewer asks do you want tea or water, always say yes, this author writes. I disagree. The interview is about them, not you. So let's get down to it. The last thing you need is a chance to spill something or show a shaking cup. In a long interview, do you really want to interrupt to use the restroom?

My advice--don't complicate an already fairly tense situation.

There are plenty of job apps for the Iphone. Enjoy but monitor how much time you spend with them. Is this time meeting my goals? Am I learning more about my target company? Am I coming up with ways to add value to their bottom line?

"QUALIFICATIONS: I am a very detrimental person." More amusing mistakes people have put on their resumes are here.


---brought to you by 2 great ebooks on how job searching works today


Image courtesy of digitalart

No comments:

Post a Comment